Total Pageviews

Wednesday 4 November 2020

Termirons - 15/18mm Terminators / Necrons

Hello again all,
Here is my take on Terminator / Necrons.
Models are Kryomek Nexus Talos ( to be used as medium mecha ) , The Scene Heavy robots ( to be used as PA) , the Scourge ( to be used as Grunts) by Rebel Minis and Puppetwars cyber spiders ( to be used as repair droids )

I'm always on the search to paint minis as quickly & efficiently as possible, otherwise the lead mountain will remain just so.

These are metal minis so it would be counter productive to undercoat , basecoat , paint etc... so I said why not use the metal as a the final finish. Here's how to do it.

Blue / Black wash 
Then dry buff ( i.e. without a polishing medium ) to remove top most paint layer. Re do the wash if and where necessary.
Eyes and energy cell glow painted first with a GW Jade green + Vallejo Flo mix , then a small wash of GW Hexwraith glow finished by a light, light blue drybrush.

For the cyber spiders the buffing is not done as they're resin models.

I think they came out quite good and one good easily do an army very quickly.

Resistance is futile.....and they will be back 

Thanks for your comments.
Z














And here they are all finished , the funny thing is that I spent more time on the green glow effects than on the models themselves. Some of them took more than 6 thin coats to finish, Duncan Rhodes would be happy. Vallejo Flo Yellow + GW Hexwraith glow was used to build the glow bit by bit but the end effect is worth it.
Z


























8 comments:

  1. Good point. I heard of some studio painters, back in the day, that they were recommending this process too. It's silly, when you think about it, layering paint upon a metal mini to get a metal effect.

    They look great Ang :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them, Zrune! Thanks for sharing those Kryomek stuff, I'll have a closer look at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. More than nice! I like your take on these and how such an approach worked! Where I would have taken a classic, orthodox approach (undercoat, etc) you dared to do something new. I like it, sometimes you have to un-learn things to move forward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job. Never painted my Scourge. Found them woefully small compared to my other 15s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the very late reply, I was not aware I had replies pending.

    Thanks for the comments, glad you like them.
    Z

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I have had you bookmarked for a longtime, being a scratchbuild fan. I'd really like to get into real time communication regarding a site I'm running. I want to put up some of your builds (with attribution and links back here, plus any commentary you'd like to add) If you want to contact me, please reach out to mallninjasupplier@gmail.com or msg me on reddit at /u/setsneedtofeed

    Thanks man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Hey Darren,
      you can find the Talos units here, though not cheap at £10.00 for 2.

      https://www.shop.scotiagrendel.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=217_218_3_112_115

      Z

      Delete