Total Pageviews

Monday, 24 August 2026

Scratch built Desert dwellings 2 ( Egg Carton boxes ) & Wood Bark hills

Hello again all,
You might remember these


Well now I'm going to make something similar but with card egg cartons.
 As always Reduce, Reuse  & recycle.
Still a wip.
We'll see where this leads. Problem is ( as always 😉) when to stop !! Euro cent for scale.

Another good tip I discovered is that 3d resin clogged IPA ( or methylated spirit ) is VERY good for coating card or wood. It soaks very well. Evaporates & when left in the sun hardens to an almost plastic card strength. Becomes water resistant but NOT water proof though. It can also be used for basing if mixed with wood dust etc.
As seen on the wood bark chip hills below.

So if you want to reuse the used IPA to the last drop  DON't throw it away  and please do remember it is still dangerous.

                                    


And these are my wood bark hills . Simple yet very effective. Was going to paint them grey but decided to leave as is.  Euro cent for scale.









Thanks for your comments.
 Z











4 comments:

  1. Hey Zruny,

    That's a pretty cool tip about the resin/IPA mix. I still don't have a 3D printer so it doesn't effect me directly :D but it's still a good idea nonetheless.

    Another idea i read years ago about the resin/IPA mix is to leave the bottle out in the sun. The uncured resin will cure, fall to the bottom, and you can strain it out so that you can use the IPA again. Again, I don't know if this is feasible, but yt idea sounds plausible.

    Those egg cartoon huts look ace! I don't think I've ever seen two or four egg cartons here in aus though, which is a shame, so I can't give them a go.

    As always, your output never ceases to amaze me mate! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mr.P,
    Thanks . Glad you like them.
    So good to hear from you.
    Resin/IPA mix reaches a saturation point where it is unusable even if left in the sun. Yes it does settle somewhat but more often than not it remains cloudy, which means it reaches a point where you can't even use it for a pre wash..
    I am always searching for ways to reduce waste as much as possible.
    2 or 4 egg ??!!!! No mate, that's a good one., they are cut up. You don't find them here either, ours are 6 or 15 or 18 and in clear plastic containers.. The ones I used are Italian made from 100% recycled card ( like the stuff they use for packing ).

    Have a great weekend
    Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ok, so the IPA is still no good after the sun bath. That's a shame. It's great that you found a use for it though! I like to recycle for gaming too mate. It's why I have so much kitbashing material (aka rubbish) in my garage :D

      Your egg cartons are much cooler than ours. I'll have to keep an eye out for some of I'm ever over your way.

      Hope you have a great weekend too :)

      Delete
  3. Only if it's over saturated with resin. It's like putting sugar or salt bit by bit in water until the water can't melt it. You "might" also be able to find imported italian eggs in Australia but they're not like Parmeggiano or Grana Padana ... so most probably not.
    Z

    ReplyDelete